this practical guide is a compilation of firsthand expertise from leading authorities around the world on the use of ultrasound elastography. the stiffness or softness of the imaged tissue derived from elastography provides accurate radiologic diagnosis for disease processes including cancer, inflammation, and fibrosis. it is an efficacious and accurate diagnostic imaging modality that helps avoid invasive biopsies.
the first two chapters cover basic fundamental principles of elastography, with subsequent chapters exploring pathology-specific utilization. the authors cover the extensively validated and implemented use of elastography for diffuse liver disease, and diseases of the breast andthyroid gland. they also discuss the potential benefits and limitations for the prostate, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, musculoskeletal system, salivary glands, lymph nodes, and testes. the book concludes with a chapter on potential future applications of this ever-evolving technology.
- discussion of key differences between strain elastography and shear wave elastography by individual organ systems
- clinical pearls on how to accurately perform elastography and tips for avoiding false-positive or false-negative results
- case studies elucidate the targeted use of elastographic findings by specific pathology
- illustrations in the breast and liver chapters demonstrate precise transducer techniques
- mri elastography as an emerging and safe assessment tool, primarily for the diagnosis of liver disease, with emergent potential for additional organs
this book provides key knowledge on visualizing quantifiable differences in tissue elasticity and applying this data to improved treatment strategies for diverse pathologies. it is essential reading for radiologists, sonographers, and imaging technicians.
it can be recommended as a first-line method of diagnosis and for the follow-up of treated breasts, regardless of the patient's age, sex, or physical condition.show more
in a similar fashion, microwave tomographic reconstruction algorithms are reviewed in the following chapter, introducing the reader to both the fundamental and more advanced algorithms. apart from imaging, the book also reviews research efforts in extracting clinically useful information from the radar target signature of breast tumours, which is used to classify tumours as either benign or malignant. finally, the book concludes by describing the current state of the art in terms of prototype microwave breast imaging systems, with a particular emphasis on those which have progressed to the clinical evaluation stage. this work is motivated by the fact that breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death amongst women in europe and the us, and the second most common cancer in the world today. such an important area of research will appeal to many scholars and practitioners.p>show more
digital breast tomosynthesis: technique and cases is a comprehensive and timely introduction to a significant technological advance in breast cancer imaging. this state-of-the-art guide explains the technique of digital breast tomosynthesis (dbt), describes results from available
clinical studies, offers recommendations for the use of dbt in routine practice, and discusses the latest developments and possible future trends in dbt. the main part of the book contains 45 highly illustrated case reports that allow readers to explore the practical aspects of dbt and deepen their knowledge of this important new modality in breast imaging.
- presents 45 superbly illustrated case reports showcasing the application of dbt to clinical practice
- examines the results of all currently available clinical trials and studies
- evaluates the use of dbt alongside mammography and versus mammography
- includeshigh-quality images from the various modalities in breast imaging: 2d mammography, dbt, and ultrasound, to enable comparison of their strengths and limitations
- combines expertise in the fields of radiology and gynecology with an interdisciplinary team of contributors
- provides video clips of the dbt data set for most cases on the thieme mediacenter
authoritative and up to date, this volume is essential for radiology practitioners, residents, and fellows who wish to learn about the potential of dbt and stay at the forefront of technological developments in their field. the wealth of clinically relevant information is useful for any radiologist considering the establishment of dbt as a new imaging tool in their practice.
by peter hogg (editor), judith kelly (editor), claire mercer (editor)
presently there is no single evidence-based publication which covers the range of mammography and mammography-related techniques used in practice. this book addresses this deficiency. therefore, the purpose of this book is to offer a single publication to be utilised comprehensively as a reference manual within current mammographic clinical practice for use by assistant practitioners and practitioners as well as trainees in radiography and related disciplines. in recent years mammographic clinical practice and technology have evolved rapidly and become increasingly sophisticated, this book will cover these issues. the public feel increasingly empowered to ‘have a say’ in their care and expectations of their mammography experience is high. consequently a well-trained, well-informed practitioner is of paramount importance in clinical practice today. this book addresses patient/client-related issues in the form of psychological and emotional support they may require. this will enable the reader to gain insight into the patient/client perspective and thereby assist in meeting their needs.
by richard g. barr
this comprehensive reference covers the principles and techniques used in performing breast elastography, an innovative imaging technology that can dramatically reduce the need for biopsies. the book begins with an introduction of the techniques, followed by sections on how to perform each technique and methods of interpretation, and concludes with more than 60 detailed case studies.
- includes case studies covering a wide range of breast pathologies and illustrating the use of all available elastography techniques to help radiologists obtain the best images for each pathology
- covers all methods of breast elastography, including sheer wave and strain wave
- contains more than 200 high-quality color images that demonstrate how to perform each technique
breast elastography is an essential reference for all radiologists, residents and fellows, and sonographers involved in breast imaging and evaluation.
by e. y. k. ng
breast cancer is an abnormal growth of cells in the breast, usually in the inner lining of the milk ducts or lobules. it is currently the most common type of cancer in women in developed and developing countries. the number of women affected by breast cancer is gradually increasing and remains as a significant health concern. researchers are continuously working to develop novel techniques to detect early stages of breast cancer. this book covers breast cancer detection, diagnosis, and treatment using different imaging modalities such as mammography, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, positron emission tomography, ultrasonography, infrared imaging, and other modalities. the information and methodologies presented will be useful to researchers, doctors, teachers, and students in biomedical sciences, medical imaging, and engineering.
by dianne georgian-smith
effectively overcome difficult diagnostic challenges with breast imaging and pathologic correlations: a pattern-based approach. this atlas is based on the morphology of the birads lexicon and not the pathology entities. it illustrates the “how” and “why” of breast imaging, whether via mammography or ultrasound and uses a case-based approach to walk you through a wide range of common and uncommon findings and correlates imaging patterns to pathology, helping you build your pattern recognition skills so you can diagnose breast cases with complete confidence.
- increase your pattern recognition skills thanks to an organization by categories of pathologic presentation (i.e. masses, calcifications, architectural distortion, and other, less common malignant features) rather than by final diagnosis.
- learn to evaluate masses based on shapes and margins, calcifications based on morphology and distribution and not the pathology entities, and distinguish architectural distortion from overlapping tissues.
- see how to distinguish between benign and malignant possibilities for almost every feature.
- master the methodical thought process used by the most experienced radiologists so you can navigate the most challenging imaging findings, avoid diagnostic pitfalls, and provide the early detection patients need to ensure the best outcomes.
- navigate the table of contents with ease as it provides a differential diagnosis per morphology
now with the print edition, enjoy the bundled interactive ebook edition, offering tablet, smartphone, or online access to:
- complete content with enhanced navigation
- a powerful search that pulls results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
- cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
- highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
- ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
- quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use
by alexander n. sencha (editor)
this book is devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of male breast pathology. it provides a comprehensive overview of current strategies for the diagnosis of breast malignancies in men, with a focus on imaging modalities. ultrasound of male breast abnormalities is discussed in particular depth, but the roles of other imaging techniques, genetic tests, and interventional diagnostic modalities are also carefully covered. special attention is paid to differential diagnosis of malignant and benign lesions, and the most important benign breast diseases are described and illustrated with high-quality images. a special chapter analyzes treatment strategy in men with breast malignancies and principles of follow-up after breast surgery. individual chapters are also devoted to the diagnosis of recurrent cancer and cancer metastases. this up-to-date and richly illustrated book will interest and assist specialists in ultrasound diagnostics, radiologists, oncologists, and surgeons.